Thanks for your interest in Project Communications Management (PMBOK®). You find hereafter the definition and the processes involved in Project Communications Management and free downloadable templates. I developed the templates over time from real life documents. You find the download links in the download area of this page.
It is important to prepare a solid Project Communications Management Plan, which lays out
- When, and
- By whom
Information will be administered and disseminated. The Project Communications Management plan is a component of the Project Management Plan.
Definition of Project Communications Management
The PMI™ defines Project Communications Management as:
Project Communications Management includes the processes necessary to ensure that the information needs of the project and its stakeholders are met through development of artifacts and implementation of activities designed to achieve effective information exchange. Project Communications Management consists of two parts. The first part is developing a strategy to ensure communication is effective for stakeholders. The second part is carrying out the activities necessary to implement the communication strategy. (PMBOK® Guide)
Project Communications Management Processes
The PMI™ defines the Project Communications Management processes as follows:
- Plan Communications Management
- Plan communications management is the process of developing an appropriate approach and plan for project communication activities based on the information needs of each stakeholder group, available organizational assets, and the needs of the project.
- Manage Communications
- Manage communications is the process of timely and appropriate collection, creation, distribution, storage, retrieval, management, monitoring, and the ultimate disposition of project information.
- Monitor Communications
- Monitor communications is the process of ensuring the information needs of the project and its stakeholders are met.
Project Communications Management – How to
- They are focused on something different,
- They are under great pressure, and
- Can not write reports for lack of time.
A serious project manager will constantly monitor and control the scope, time, cost, risk, quality, etc. He or she collects data and usually records it in spreadsheets or project management software. After recording it, the project manager analyzes the data. The work extensive part in report preparation is the collecting and recording of data. Filtering the data and presenting it is an easy task and does not even require expensive software. Reports don’t need to be text-heavy. Using good templates helps a lot, is easy and isn’t rocket science. With the New One Page Project Manager you will get the status reporting done easily.
A great help to realize this is provided in the Book “The New One Page Project Manager” by Clark A. and Mick Campbell.
Amazon book description:
The New One Page Project Manager demonstrates how to efficiently and effectively communicate essential elements of a project’s status. The hands of a pocket watch reveal the time of day without following every spring, cog, and movement behind the face. Similarly, an OPPM template reduces any project — no matter how large or complicated — to a simple one-page document, perfect for communicating to upper management and other project stakeholders. Now in its Second Edition, this practical guide, currently saving time and effort in thousands of organizations worldwide, has itself been simplified, then refined and extended to include the innovative AgileOPPM™.
- This Second Edition includes new material and updates including an introduction to the ground-breaking AgileOPPM™ and an overview of MyOPPM™ template builder, available on-line,
- Includes references throughout the book to the affiliated sections in the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK®),
- Shows templates for the Project Management Office (PMO)
This new and updated Second Edition will help you master the one-page approach to both traditional project management and Agile project management.
The New One Page Project Manager is a great help and worth every penny. The Excel template is easy to understand and immediately usable.
Download area Project Communications Management Templates
Free Project Communications Management Plan Template
|Name:||Project Communications Management Plan Template|
|Prepared by:||Marc Arnecke, PMP|
|Subject:||The Project Communications Management Plan is a component of the Project Management Plan that describes how, when, and by whom information will be administered and disseminated.|
|Link:||download free Project Communications Management Plan Template|