You find the definition and the processes involved in Project Schedule Management (PMBOK®) and free downloadable templates on this page.
The Project Schedule Management Plan is a component of the Project Management Plan that establishes the activities for developing, monitoring, and controlling the project or program.
Definition of Project Schedule Management
The PMI™ defines it as:
Project Schedule Management includes the processes required to manage the timely completion of the project. (PMBOK® Guide)
Project Schedule Management Processes
Definition of the processes by PMI™:
- Plan Schedule Management
- Plan schedule management is the process of establishing the policies, procedures, and documentation for planning, developing, managing, executing, and controlling the project schedule.
- Define Activities
- Define activities is the process of identifying and documenting the specific actions to be performed to produce the project deliverables.
- Sequence Activities
- Sequence activities is the process of identifying and documenting relationships among the project activities.
- Estimate Activity Durations
- Estimate activity durations is the process of estimating the number of work periods needed to complete individual activities with the estimated resources.
- Develop Schedule
- Develop schedule is the process of analyzing activity sequences, durations, resource requirements, and schedule constraints to create the project schedule model for project execution and monitoring & controlling.
- Control Schedule
- Control schedule is the process of controlling the status of the project to update the project schedule and manage changes to the schedule baseline.
Project Schedule Management – How to
Errors in scheduling are one of the biggest problems in the project life cycle. Everybody knows that instinctively, but ignores the problem and claims that he/she does not make that mistake himself/herself. Among other things, the following sources of error seem to contribute significantly to the problem:
- Unclear project scope and requirements definitions,
- Insufficient decomposition of deliverables into manageable work packages, activities and tasks,
- Disorganized schedule preparation and without focus on how the schedule should be used in the future,
- Duration estimates without sufficient input from subject experts,
- No or insufficient risk evaluations,
- Inflexible organizations and/or project team leaders,
- Creation of the schedule under too much time pressure and regarded as a necessary evil, instead of giving it the necessary meaning.
Sounds familiar to you?
Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling 12th Edition is also referred to as the “Project Management Bible” and is a must read for all project managers and those who are involved in planning projects.
Download Area Project Schedule Management Templates
Download the Project Schedule Management Plan Template
|Name:||Project Schedule Management Plan Template|
|Prepared by:||Marc Arnecke, PMP|
|Subject:||The Project Schedule Management Plan is a component of the Project Management Plan that establishes the activities for developing, monitoring, and controlling the project or program.|
|Link:||download Project Schedule Management Plan Template|
Download the Task Duration Control Sheet Template
|Name:||Task Duration Control Sheet|
|Prepared by:||Marc Arnecke, PMP|
|Subject:||The Task Duration Control Sheet was created and used to compare planned versus actual task duration. It can be an input to the Lessons Learned Documentation, the Post Project Review, and may help in the planning phase of future projects.|
|Link:||download Task Duration Control Sheet Template|
More templates are waiting here for you: