You find the definition and the processes involved in Project Schedule Management (PMBOK®) and free downloadable templates on this page.
The Project Schedule Management Plan is a component of the Project Management Plan that establishes the activities for developing, monitoring, and controlling the project or program.
Definition of Project Schedule Management
The PMI™ defines it as:
Project Schedule Management includes the processes required to manage the timely completion of the project. (PMBOK® Guide)
Project Schedule Management Processes
Definition of the processes by PMI™:
- Plan Schedule Management
- Plan schedule management is the process of establishing the policies, procedures, and documentation for planning, developing, managing, executing, and controlling the project schedule.
- Define Activities
- Define activities is the process of identifying and documenting the specific actions to be performed to produce the project deliverables.
- Sequence Activities
- Sequence activities is the process of identifying and documenting relationships among the project activities.
- Estimate Activity Durations
- Estimate activity durations is the process of estimating the number of work periods needed to complete individual activities with the estimated resources.
- Develop Schedule
- Develop schedule is the process of analyzing activity sequences, durations, resource requirements, and schedule constraints to create the project schedule model for project execution and monitoring & controlling.
- Control Schedule
- Control schedule is the process of controlling the status of the project to update the project schedule and manage changes to the schedule baseline.
Project Schedule Management – How to
Errors in scheduling are one of the biggest problems in the project life cycle. Everybody knows that instinctively, but ignores the problem and claims that he/she does not make that mistake himself/herself. Among other things, the following sources of error seem to contribute significantly to the problem:
- Unclear project scope and requirements definitions,
- Insufficient decomposition of deliverables into manageable work packages, activities and tasks,
- Disorganized schedule preparation and without focus on how the schedule should be used in the future,
- Duration estimates without sufficient input from subject experts,
- No or insufficient risk evaluations,
- Inflexible organizations and/or project team leaders,
- Creation of the schedule under too much time pressure and regarded as a necessary evil, instead of giving it the necessary meaning.
Sounds familiar to you?
Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling 12th Edition is also referred to as the “Project Management Bible” and is a must read for all project managers and those who are involved in planning projects.
Download Area Project Schedule Management Templates
Download the Project Schedule Management Plan Template
|Name:||Project Schedule Management Plan Template|
|Prepared by:||Marc Arnecke, PMP|
|Subject:||The Project Schedule Management Plan is a component of the Project Management Plan that establishes the activities for developing, monitoring, and controlling the project or program.|
|Link:||download Project Schedule Management Plan Template|