You find the definition and the processes involved in Project Scope Management (PMBOK®) and free downloadable templates in the download area on this page.
The Project Scope Management Plan is a component of the Project Management Plan that describes how the scope will be defined, developed, monitored, controlled, and verified.
Definition of Project Scope Management
The PMI™ defines Project Scope Management as:
Project Scope Management includes the processes required to ensure that the project includes all the work required, and only the work required, to complete the project successfully. Managing the project scope is primarily concerned with defining and controlling what is and is not included in the project. (PMBOK® Guide)
Project scope is the work that needs to be accomplished to deliver a product, service, or result with the specified features and functions.
Product scope are the features and functions that characterize a product, service, or result.
Project Scope Management Processes
Definition of the processes by PMI™:
- Plan Project Scope Management
- Plan project scope management is the process of creating a scope management plan that documents how the project and product scope will be defined, validated, and controlled.
- Collect Requirements>
- Collect requirements is the process of determining, documenting, and managing stakeholder needs and requirements to meet project objectives.
- Define Scope
- Define scope is the process of developing a detailed description of the project and product.
- Create WBS
- Create WBS is the process of subdividing project deliverables and project work into smaller, more manageable components.
- Validate Scope
- Validate scope is the process of formalizing acceptance of the completed project deliverables.
- Control Scope
- Control scope is the process of monitoring the status of the project and product scope and managing changes to the scope baseline.
Project Scope Management – How to
The definition is given above and the processes are listed, the question that arises now is how project scope is best and most effectively managed. Following my own experience as a contractor project manager, scope management is one in which many mistakes happen during the initiation phase of a project. This is a trap that is hard to come out of. By signing a contract, the contractor committed himself to deliver certain products and services within a time frame and at a certain price.
I Recommend this Book:
Download Area Project Scope Management Templates
- download Project Scope Management Plan Template
- download Project Requirements Management Plan
- download Work Breakdown Structure Template