Project Resource Management - Definition, Processes, Templates
You find on this page the definition and the processes for Project Resource Management (PMBOK®) and free downloadable templates further down on this page.
The Project Resource Management Plan is the component of the Project Management Plan that provides guidance on how project resources should be categorized, allocated, managed and released. It may be divided between the team management plan and physical resource management plan according to the specifics of the project.
Definition of Project Resource Management
The PMI™ defines it as:
Project Resource Management includes the processes to identify acquire and manage the resources needed for the successful completion of the project.
These processes help ensure that the right resources will be available to the project manager and project team at the right time and place. (PMBOK® Guide)
Project Resource Management Processes
The PMI™ defines the processes as follows:
Plan Resource Management
- Plan resource management is the process of defining how to estimate, acquire, manage, and utilize physical and team resources.
Estimate Activity Resources
- Estimate activity resources is the process of estimating team resources, and the type and quantities of material, equipment, and supplies necessary to perform project work.
- Acquire resources is the process of acquiring team members, facilities, equipment, materials, supplies, and other resources necessary to complete project work.
- Develop team is the process of improving competencies, team member interaction, and the overall team environment to enhance project performance.
- Manage team is the process of tracking team member performance, providing feedback, resolving issues, and managing team changes to optimize project performance.
- Control resources is the project of ensuring that the physical resources assigned and allocated to the project are available as planned, as well as monitoring the planned versus the actual use of resources, and performing corrective action as necessary.
Download Area Project Resource Management Templates
All you need to know about Project Management PMBOK® Guide 6th Edition
The PMBOK® Guide–Sixth Edition – PMI’s flagship publication has been updated to reflect the latest good practices in project management.
New to the Sixth Edition, each knowledge area will contain a section entitled Approaches for Agile, Iterative and Adaptive Environments, describing how these practices integrate in project settings.
It also contains more emphasis on strategic and business knowledge—including discussion of project management business documents — and information on the PMI Talent Triangle™ and the essential skills for success in today’s market.