Thanks for your interest in Project Integration Management (PMBOK®). You find hereafter the definition and the processes involved in Project Integration Management, plus free downloadable templates. I developed the templates over time from real life documents.
You find the links to the free downloadable project integration management templates in the download area on this page.
The most important document in Project Integrations Management is the Project Management Plan itself with the Project Charter. The Project Management Plan is prepared by the project manager and describes how the project shall be accomplished. It is created during the project initiating phase and is developed further during the project planning phase. Later changes and updates are possible in compliance with the applicable procedures.
The Project Management Plan includes the
- Project Charter,
- Project Definition,
- Project Objectives,
- Project Schedule,
- Resources needed to accomplish the project,
- Management Approach,
- Further Management Plans, and
- The initial Risk Assessment.
Definition of Project Integration Management
The PMI™ defines Project Integration Management as:
Project Integration Management includes the processes and activities to identify, define, combine, unify, and coordinate the various processes and project management activities within the project management process groups. In the project management context, integration includes characteristics of unification, consolidation, communication, and integrative actions that are crucial to controlled project execution through completion, successfully managing stakeholder expectations, and meeting requirements.
Project integration management includes making choices about resource allocation, making trade-offs among competing objectives and alternatives, and managing the inter dependencies among the project management knowledge areas. The project management processes are usually presented as discrete processes with defined interfaces while, in practice, they overlap and interact in ways that cannot be completely detailed in the PMBOK® Guide.
Project Integration Management Processes
The PMI™ defines the processes as follows:
- Develop Project Charter
- Develop project charter is the process of developing a document that formally authorizes the existence of a project and provides the project manager with the authority to apply organizational resources to project activities.
- Create Project Management Plan
- Create project management plan is the process of defining, preparing, and coordinating all plan components and consolidating them into an integrated project management plan.
- Direct and manage project work
- Direct and manage project work is the process of leading and performing the work defined in the project management plan and implementing approved changes to achieve the project's objectives.
- Manage Project Knowledge
- Manage project knowledge is the process of using existing knowledge and creating new knowledge to achieve the project's objectives and contribute to organizational learning.
- Monitor and Control Project Work
- Monitor and control project work is the process of tracking, reviewing, and reporting overall progress to meet the performance objectives defined in the project management plan.
- Perform Integrated Change Control
- Perform integrated change control is the process of reviewing all change requests; approving changes and managing changes to deliverables, organizational process assets, project documents, and the project management plan; and communicating the decisions.
- Close Project or Phase
- Close project or phase is the process of finalizing all activities for the project, phase, or the contract.